Sunday, January 3, 2010

Going nowhere slowly.



Over the last couple of weeks I’ve stayed inside, I haven’t been able to get out, the weather has been a tad inclement with snow falling, rain dropping or wind blowing.
At first chance I was out of the house and into the car park waiting for Miriam to get organised with her bike. There was a fair amount of snow on the ground and naturally I tried a few donuts. Couldn’t get that right, hoped nobody was watching my pathetic spinning and re-adjusted my halo…
We took the long route along the forest road. The peace and quiet in the forest was unreal, you have to hear it to understand it. It’s like you’re wrapped in a thick blanket of silence, echo’s are smothered and voices are muted. I battled to hear a car come up behind me and I had to be extra vigilant.
All the pathways through the forest are highlighted in white and look very inviting and tempting and I had to resist the urge to make tracks where no power chair’s been before.
Before long, my favourite path up the bank was in front of me, white and unsullied. Tally ho, don’t spare the horses…and I slid to a halt half way up. Say no more. I might as well of stayed at home and cracked an egg on my head.
With a good deal of pushing and shoving from Miriam I finally reached the top and it was straight to Migros for a hot chocolate.
A couple of days later I managed to get stuck again and this time it was on the flat in a patch of thick glutinous grey mud. Again Miriam had to push me out.
It was only when I got home that I found I was carrying an extra kilo of weight and I was leaving a clear indication of where I’d been.
The closest thing to a carwash was a chairwash in my shower……

A new year brings new expectations, new places to go to and new experiences. Yesterday, the 2nd of Jan, Miriam picked me up and took me to Montreux (The head office of Nestlé is situated here). Montreux is crowded by mountains on one side and the lake on the other. There’s a nice pathway along the lakeshore and even though it was really cold there were a lot of people walking about. I saw one family, mum, dad and children, scoot past all on push scooters. Talk about ‘with it’ parents… There weren’t many dogs taking their owners for walkies.
We didn’t stay outside for long and wound up at Sinatra’s bar where a huge mug of hot chocolate was welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment